So this month has been productive! At least in terms of setting up social media accounts for the blog. As some of you may have noticed, I now have a pinterest and an instagram account. I totally need more book bloggers to follow so definitely give my accounts a follow and I’ll follow back. 🙂
Otherwise for reading this month, I started off so well and then hit a slump. I had read three five star reads in a row within the first week and a half which was awesome, but then everything I picked up after that was okay? Most weren’t bad but at the same time I didn’t feel all that compelled to pick them back up in my free time. A shame really.
Also I’ve been buried in library books (my fault for putting so many on hold!) which has thrown my ARCs behind schedule, oops! I’m going to try and finish the load I have now and start cutting back on my check outs every month. I can’t help it though! After going so hard on ARCs earlier this year and a lot of them being sort of hit or miss, it’s nice to go and catch up on the last few year’s bestsellers. Plus I’ve been picking up some highly anticipated new releases that I wasn’t able to get ARCs for. So I will still have some new release reviews coming for you all soon!
Last but not least, I’ve been admiring book subscription boxes for the last few months and was gifted two boxes for my birthday. I am so excited to share my unboxings with you all and explore these neat little services. I have tried Nocturnal Reader’s Box for my first subscription and they offer themed boxes containing two books (one new release, one old) and a bunch of little horror-themed goodies. Being the horror lover that I am I freaked out when I found it. I did a July unboxing post this month and will have one (with better pictures I promise) next month.
After that, I might treat myself to a box from another service, but which one though? Do any of you have a favorite book box? Do let me know! The ones that I am heavily considering right now are Book Case Club, Blue Spider’s Attic, and Uppercase. If you want to see an unboxing/review of one of these boxes do let me know and maybe it’ll help me decide which to do first!
This Month’s Posts
What I’ve Read
• Adulthood is a Myth by Sarah Anderson ★★★★★
• And I Darken by Kiersten White ★★★★★
• Born a Crime by Trevor Noah ★★★★★
• Confessions by Kanae Minato ★★★★☆
• Power Play: How Video Games Can Save the World by Asi Burak and Laura Parker ★★☆☆☆
• The Black Witch by Laurie Forest ★★★☆☆
• The Crystal Ribbon by Celeste Lim ★★★★★
• The Readymade Thief by Augustus Rose ★★★☆☆
Thank you to author Vanessa Barneveld for the gift copies of Girl on the Verge and How to Hook a Hottie! It was such an unexpected surprise to win a mailing list giveaway and I’m so happy!
Thank you to Cat from Let the Pages Reign for a beautiful paperback ARC for The Bone Witch.
Around The Web
• 13 Ways To Help An Indie Author With Their Book Release (Helen Sheuerer)
• So You Want to Read The ’80s: Here’s Where to Start (Unbound Worlds)
• The ‘Girl’ In The Title: More Than A Marketing Trend (NPR)
• 10 Authors I Claim Are My Favorites…But Have I Read All Their Books? No. (Paper Fury)
• How To: Write a Clear and Concise Blog Post (Rimpys Reads)
• Things I Like About Your Blog (It Starts at Midnight)
• 5 Books You Can Read in a Day (Pan Macmillan)
• Books: Where Good Dads Go To Die (The Secret Stacks)
• Hogwarts House Book Recommendations | Ravenclaw (A Clockwork Reader)
• The Handmaid’s Tale & thoughts on freedom (Myrmidryad)
• Ugly Book Covers (Brandon the Book Addict)
Movie & TV Trailers
• Alias Grace (by Margaret Atwood)
• A Wrinkle in Time (by Madeleine L’Engle)
• Atomic Blonde (by Antony Johnston, originally titled The Coldest City)
• IT (by Stephen King)
• Mr. Mercedes (by Stephen King)
• Ready Player One (by Ernest Cline)
• The Dark Tower (by Stephen King)
• The Mist (by Stephen King)
• The Snowman (by Jo Nesbø)
There are a number of books currently being adapted to film and television. I’ve never been big on movies and television but there is actually a lot that I’m excited to see! Because there are so many recently released trailers I thought it would be fun to share them all with you here. Are there any that have you excited, or maybe that you hadn’t heard about before now?
The Handmaid’s Tale has also been cleaning up all the awards and is already set for a second season. I can’t tell you all how thrilled I am, and especially with the upcoming Alias Grace television drama by Netflix, hopefully this means more of Atwood’s books will be adapted in the future.
13 Reasons Why and American Gods are also on my to watch list at some point, but are there any other book to movie or tv adaptations that you all are excited for? Do let me know!
Reading Next Month
For next month I’m looking to knock out a bunch of library holds I’ve had waiting as well as an ARC from Penguin, Beasts Made of Night. I have a lot of diverse reads lined up for next month so I’m quite excited!