Hello everyone! I hope you all have been doing well and not suffering too much with the oncoming summer weather.
I’ve been doing so much better about really cutting through my library and ARC backlog and getting some timely reviews out for my NetGalley acquisitions, so pat on the back on that. I’ve been trying to really hold myself back with checking out more books at the library so that I can catch up. I’ve been devouring poetry though I feel that I’m finally ready to start moving out of that binge and onto some non-fiction and a few huge fiction titles I’ve been waiting for.
Now that work has been steady for me and I’m in a better situation, I did spoil myself with a Nocturnal Readers’ Box subscription and a weekend to Comic Con with a few friends in town visiting! I haven’t been to a convention in roughly a decade and I had so much fun!
May has been a wonderful month for me between the con, seeing friends that I haven’t seen in a few years, and getting adjusted to my new job and I love it more and more every day, so I’m definitely excited for what the rest of the year will hold.
This Month’s Posts
What I’ve Read
Around The Web
• 12 Best Books From the 2000s That We Still Love to Read Today (Signature)
• 28 New Scifi and Fantasy Books to Add to Your Shelves in May (io9)
• Author Junot Diaz withdraws from festival amid sexual misconduct allegations (CBC)
• Cannon Fodder: Books by immigrants, foreigners and minorities don’t diminish the ‘classic’ curriculum. They enhance it. (Viet Thanh Nguyen for The Washington Post)
• Out of this World: 4 Space Operas to Celebrate May the 4th (Bookish)
• Romantic novelist’s trademarking of word ‘cocky’ sparks outcry (The Guardian)
• Converse post; Poetry (Books-and-Dachshunds)
• Do Likeable Characters Help Make Better Books? (Stephen Writes)
• Should I Buy This Book? AKA Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before You Spend Your Money on Books (Aimee, Always)
• Ten Underwhelming Reads (Lili’s Blissful Reads)
• Why I Don’t Like Snape (Debbie’s Library)
• Best Books I’ve Read Because of Booktube! (Mackenzie Lane)
• If You Like This, You’ll Like This… | Book Recommendations (Sarah Sunbeemz)
• My ANCESTORS Choose my TBR (Books and Lala)
• Sci Fi Book Recommendations for Beginners (Books with Emily Fox)
• The Attack on Femininity in Fiction: Masculine Women and Disempowered Men (The Authentic Observer)
• The Poetry of Sylvia Plath: Crash Course Literature 216 (Crash Course)